So my friend, you’ve got an air compressor. And you want to make a vacuum pump out of it, right?
Well, you may know that an air compressor and vacuum pump has a similar mechanism. Both of them suck air from outside to inside. After then an air compressor, compressed the air to use various purposes. We can use the function (suction mechanism) to convert an air compressor to a vacuum pump.
So, you don’t need to buy a vacuum pump. Because you can convert the air compressor into a vacuum pump. Thus, you can save your hard-earned money.
It is better to build a vacuum pump with an air compressor in terms of money. With less cost, you will get a decent quality vacuum pump.
However, you may now realize that the article is going to show you- how to make a vacuum pump with an air compressor.
This is not rocket science. You can also do it if you follow the given steps properly.
Let’s get into the deep-
Table of Contents
- Tools you need
- Step on How to Make A Vacuum Pump with An Air Compressor?
- Safety Tips for making a vacuum pump
- How to use a vacuum pump
- Frequently Asked Question
Tools you need
Obviously, you need tools to do that work. But those are comparatively lower in price. Before starting your work, gather all the tools-
- Few feet braided PVC hose pipe with a diameter of ¼ inches
- steel-filled epoxy
- ¼ inches Hose barb and
- Hose clamp
I think you already have an air compressor that you want to convert. And all of the above tools are available in most of the home improvement stores and online stores.
However, use eyes protector and hand gloves while working.
Step on How to Make A Vacuum Pump with An Air Compressor?
Step 1: understand the air compressor
First of all, you have to understand the air compressor and its parts. To understand, read the manufacturer instruction manual. Know the function of different parts carefully.
Here, you will understand how to open an air compressor. This is the important part to know for converting air compressor into a vacuum pump.
Keep in mind that some air compressor requires lots of force to open. here is a simple note on how you can do this-
- Pinch the end of the cap to remove. Most of the air compressors are a pinch to remove the cap. But if your one has different method the remove the cap according to the instruction manual.
- Now, you can able to see the motor pump of your air compressor. However, you have to find the cylinder. Normally, the cylinder is located beneath the pump. You have to pull or push the motor pump to make visible the cylinder.
Always read the instruction manual to do that work.
Step 2: Attach the vacuum hose
Now, you are ready to attach the ¼ inches vacuum hose. Use the steel-filled epoxy to seal intake holes of the cylinder and the attach barb. Keep left here for 1 day to attach properly.
After one day, look carefully if you can attach a vacuum hose successfully or not. If you are succeeded then follow the next step.
Step 3: Attach PVC hose with barb
You have to attach the ¼ inches PVC hose to the vacuum hose. For safety use clamp. Hose clamp will keep that tightly and it will save you from the unwanted accident.
However, you can avoid hose clamp if you are sure that the fitting is done properly. But I suggest using a hose clamp.
Step 4: create a hole on the case
For a safe and easy passage make a hole on the case according to the diameter of the vacuum hose. Use nippers in that hole and bypass the vacuum hose through the hole.
Step 5: Reassemble the air compressor:
You have done everything to make a vacuum pump. So, you have to assemble the air compressor. It is the reverse process of step 1, where you have learned to open the air compressor.
All steps are done. Your new vacuum pump is ready to serve your purposes.
Safety Tips for making a vacuum pump
This is a mechanical job. So, you have to follow some rules and regulations while working. Those are-
- Use eye protector
- Wear hand gloves
- Turn off all electrical connection while working
- Make the working area clean before starting your work
- Use the right type of hose
- Use clamps to make the connections tighter
- Make sure that steel-filled epoxy sealed properly
- Make sure that all parts of the air compressor assembled properly after finishing the inside works.
How to use a vacuum pump
Safety tips for using a vacuum pump
As like as those safety tips of making a vacuum pump, you should also use the vacuum pump properly. To use that properly, you should follow-
- Make sure that all cords are placed correctly and No cords have defected.
- Don’t use any harsh solvents that can damage your newly build vacuum pump.
- Use proper belt guard, so that, your hands and clothes can keep safe during operation.
- Check the tube before every use. If needed, then change the tube.
- Oil can drip while using. So, you can use a small pan under your pump to prevent being the messy area.
Frequently Asked Question
Question: What is the difference between a vacuum pump and a compressor?
Answer: Basically, there is no difference between a vacuum pump and air compressor in regards to the mechanism. Air compressor compressed air from the open environment and vacuum pump from a closed environment. Both of them suck air outside to inside.
Question: How many types of air compressors are there?
Answer: There are three types of air compressor based on the mechanism-
- Reciprocating air compressor
- Rotary air compressor
- Centrifugal air compressor
You can make a vacuum pump from all types of air compressor.
Question: What is the purpose of the vacuum pump?
Answer: Vacuum was invented by Otto Von Guericke in the year 1650 in concern of removing gas molecules from the intake air.
So, the field of the application of vacuum pumps are-
- Automobile sector
- Some medical process where suction is needed (as for example radiology).
- Compacting trash and dust
- Making light or bulb
- To coal glass
Question: Do pumps increase the pressure?
Answer: Actually, the vacuum pump does not have the ability to increase pressure but it can create flow.
Don’t be confused with flow and pressure. Two terms are closely related. We know, vacuum pump cycles, so, there produce pressure gradient and that pressure gradient is the reason for flow.
Question: How do you calculate air suction power?
Answer: Suction power means the power of the suction motor, actually. Its measures in unit horsepower. One horsepower is 746 watts. So, if you know the formula of Air watts then you can understand it.
Air watt = [Air flow x Vacuum] ÷ 8.5
I hope you can now calculate the suction power.
There are different types of applications can be done with a vacuum pump.
It is a great opportunity to build up own machine. And this vacuum pump can do almost all kind of vacuum pump job except commercial use such as the medical sector, food sector, etc.
I think you should not buy a vacuum pump for doing small projects. Just spend few bucks to buy the above-mentioned tools and turn your existing air compressor into a vacuum pump.
Enjoy your work!