Due to years of open exposure, almost every roof is eventually weathered and damaged. To avoid frequent installation of new roof, you need to go for renewal and restoring of the old one. But take a moment and think, Is it the most cost-effective idea available?
What if we take a precaution of using a best roof coating from the very beginning?
Let us explain why-
Roof coatings are a package of perks for anyone with a home of his own. Using roof coatings will help you to attain it at once, offering a UV resistant and weather-tight exterior for the roof. Besides, proper application of good quality coating will certainly improve the life and functionality of the roof materials.
To ensure that, you need to choose the best roof coating with quality assurance in the first place. And we reviewed 10 of the best quality coatings you need to consider to induce appropriate water repellence with enhanced service life.
Table of Contents
- Comparison on 10 Best Roof Coatings
- Review of 10 Best Roof Coatings 2019
- 1. Heng's Rubber Roof Coating
- 2. Dicor RPCRC1 White EPDM Rubber Roof Coating
- 3. Kool Seal KST063600-16 Elastomeric Roof Coating
- 4. Liquid Rubber White Liquid EPDM Roof Coating
- 5. Thoro T5010 WHT Super seal Waterproof Coating
- 6. KST COATINGS KST063600-20 Elastomeric Roof Coating
- 7. Dicor RP-IRC-1 CoolCoat Roof Coating
- 8. Dicor RPFRC1 Fiberglass RV Roof Coating
- 9. GacoRoof GR1600-1 White Silicone Roof Coating
- 10. Gaco Gr1600 5g Gacoroof Silicone Roof Coating
- Buying Guide
- Advantages of Roof Coating
- How to Apply a Roof Coating
- Final Thoughts
Comparison on 10 Best Roof Coatings
Maximum Coverage (Sq. Feet per Gallon)
Average Drying Time (Hours)
Heng's Rubber Roof Coating
1 – 1.5
Dicor RPCRC1 White EPDM Rubber Roof Coating
Kool Seal KST063600-16 Elastomeric Roof Coating
2 – 3
Liquid Rubber White Liquid EPDM Roof Coating
1.5 – 2.5
Thoro T5010 WHT Super seal Waterproof Coating
1.5 - 2
KST COATINGS KST063600-20 Elastomeric Roof Coating
1 – 2
Dicor RP-IRC-1 CoolCoat Roof Coating
1.5 – 2.5
Dicor RPFRC1 Fiberglass RV Roof Coating
2 – 3
GacoRoof GR1600-1 White Silicone Roof Coating
2.5 – 5
Gaco Gr1600 5g Gacoroof Silicone Roof Coating
3 – 5
Review of 10 Best Roof Coatings 2019
1. Heng's Rubber Roof Coating
This best RV roof coating from Heng’s comes with outstanding quality along with amazing results. The special design induces a protective coating with an excellent weatherproof barrier for various base substrates.
Being formulated from 100% polymer of acrylic latex quality, it offers an elastomeric roof mastic. In fact, you can easily use this for RV rubberized roofs, seams and tears. Apart from that, you can apply this polymer to seal off the unnecessary vents or air conditioning shafts.
The chemical components lead to a UV resisting composition which keeps your exterior safe from possible decortication. The best part is it can expand as well as a contract with the roof during any change of temperature.
Without any toxic and heavy polluting ingredients, you can certainly rely on this coating. You will receive a crack resistant and also, sufficiently impact tolerant coating for your roof all year round in a reasonable price.
- Greater durability and adhesion for the rubberized roof.
- Lower temperature flexibility resists crack and impact.
- Acrylic latex graded polymer base offers UV resistance.
- Suitable application with a roller, brush and even spray.
- Up to 200 sq. feet of coverage according to roof type.
- Poor shipping quality may damage the container.
- Specific roof may require multiple coating layers.
2. Dicor RPCRC1 White EPDM Rubber Roof Coating
Offering a dual part, commercial coating system, you will get a perfect protection for your rubberized roof membrane. Not to mention, this Dicor creation provides appropriate roof preparation with an effective ‘lock and key’ adhesion.
Special formulation for rubberized RV roofs, it promises excellent quality elastomeric barrier. Obviously, the acrylic coating package induces a ready-to-apply and easy-to-use liquid which will save your time thanks to its fast drying time.
It mainly combines a primer to get a proper preparation for the roof which is followed by the acrylic coating for the barrier. This is why you need to apply 2 coats at a time for full protection. But precautions must be taken to repair the degraded substrates.
With a 125 square feet of coverage for 1 gallon of the liquid which should be thoroughly mixed 15 minutes before applications. Containing no pollutants, this best roof coating comes with minimum irreparable damage for the roof.
- Long lasting acrylic liquid with higher adhesive power.
- Greater protection for rubberized roof being fire retardant.
- Almost no petroleum distillates or citric components.
- Quick drying for the applied double-layered coating.
- Convenient two-part commercial quality coating system.
- Requires more amount of coating to cover larger spaces.
- Properly cleaned exterior is necessary before applying.
3. Kool Seal KST063600-16 Elastomeric Roof Coating
Along with this versatile coating, you can protect the roof elements for years against any rough weather. Therefore, KST Coating induces a flexible and long-lasting cover for superior reflectivity and lower energy consumption.
It is formulated with 100% acrylic resin that offers a thicker blanket of protection for the rubberized exterior. The coating remains flexible from -30°F up to 160°F which delivers a greater range for smooth expansion and contraction with the temperature.
The coating resists possible moisture action to some extent making it durable in most climates. Apart from that, the reflectivity to low inside temperature provides good sound absorption with a suitable environment inside your house.
You can apply this best elastomeric roof coating for a wide range of roof materials like concrete, metal, polystyrene and urethane foams, brick and even flat tiles. Within a reasonable price, you will get a no better option to choose when you want something unique.
- Higher adhesion to roof material at any temperature.
- Cured coating resists mildew along with algae growth.
- Environmentally compliant with moisture resistance.
- 90% of sunlight reflection lessens interior energy consumption.
- Better flexibility through 100% acrylic resin formula.
- The coating may start to peel off due to harsh weather.
- Application over the wet surface may take too long to dry.
4. Liquid Rubber White Liquid EPDM Roof Coating
Liquid rubber comes with a one-coat system which saves application time and cost at the same time. This EPDM coating from Liquid Rubber can deliver 4 times longer durability than elastomeric sealant-type coatings.
The best thing about this one is you will need no ProFlex primer coat. In fact, it can directly be applied over the roof surface. You can use this one for EPDM membranes as well as the metal roof, though it is proven to be more suitable for EPDM ones.
During its curing time, it easily conforms to any sort of vertical and horizontal shape. When fully cured, this best aluminum roof coating will produce a smooth seamless surface to put an end to your frequent seam repairing sessions.
Liquid EPDM can successfully handle significant temperature change to a wider extent, from -30°F up to 300°F. The temperature swing for this best rubber roof coating is definitely the best and you will surely achieve a well-finished roof.
- Greater thickness of about 20 mils for the dry film.
- Single coat application requires no ProFlex primer.
- Faster potting life of about 1.5 hrs up to 2.5 hrs.
- Highly suitable for both EPDM and metal roofing.
- Better temperature swing from -60°F up to 300°F.
- Maximum coverage for the roofing surface is low.
- Only suitable for certain metallic substrates.
5. Thoro T5010 WHT Super seal Waterproof Coating
With this cement-based coating, you can provide satisfactory coverage and protection for the concrete and masonry roofing. This coating from Thoro is capable of filling all the pores to seal off the voids on the substrates.
Along with synthetic quality acrylic 60 formulation, it induces a strong bond which is even harder than your roofing. Providing the optimum sealing for the pores, it reduces the possibility of water penetration even during heavy rainfall.
It remains in dried powder form in the container and you need to add water to make the coating liquid. Application of the coating over a prepared surface will result in a white exterior which will last for years.
Superior formulation prevents all kinds of mildew and mold growth for a fully cured coating. Being easy to apply, you will face no difficulty in putting this best roof coating for the flat roof to induce better longevity.
- Long lasting as well as decorative white finishing.
- Heavy and cement-based coating with a strong bond.
- Easy carry and mixing with water for dried powder.
- Resistant to mold, mildew and moisture action.
- Suitable for concrete and masonry type roofing.
- Several coating layers might be required.
- Not very suitable for metal or rubber roofs.
6. KST COATINGS KST063600-20 Elastomeric Roof Coating
This is another product from KST Coatings that promises a perfect coating for your rubberized roof. Needless to say, it protects your top for years as well as prevents possible damages due to natural actions.
Being formulated with 100% acrylic resin, it delivers a solid blanket of protection for the rubberized roofing. The coating is highly flexible from -30°F up to 160°F which provides a wider range for convenient expansion and contraction with temperature change.
The coating is capable of resisting moisture action which makes it more durable against all climates. Moreover, the reflectivity to sunrays induces a low inside temperature to encourage sound absorption with an energy saving environment for your house.
Like the other one, you can rely on this for applying over roof materials like concrete, metal, polystyrene and urethane foams, brick and even flat tiles. Therefore, you will get to use the best roof coating at an affordable price.
- Moisture resistance with environment compliance.
- Further flexibility along with 100% acrylic resin.
- No mildew and algae growth for fully cured coating.
- Better interior through 90% sunlight reflection.
- Greater adhesion for rubberized roof materials.
Dry weather is required to lay the coating.
The coat may dry off too fast on warm weather.
7. Dicor RP-IRC-1 CoolCoat Roof Coating
This new ceramic-type coating is capable of lowering your temperature to a certain amount. In fact, this one from Dicor is a perfect and suitable alternative for the acrylic coating to attain maximum adhesion.
It comes with a 100% premium quality elastomeric resins to ensure sufficient roof coverage. The presence of titanium oxide with zinc oxide provides a white pigment to offer a decorative finishing and increases the protection against UV rays.
Apart from that, the included MicroCell Technology decreased the heat flux transferring which allows a better insulation system. Not to mention, lab tests indicate a temperature reduction of 29% at the interior side than the exterior portion.
This CoolCoat requires an additional RP-CRP-Q before applying the coat to ensure appropriate adhesion. You will receive a proper protection for RV as well as TPO roofing through this best metal roof coating formulation.
- Unique white base with resin, titanium and zinc oxides.
- Lessened heat transfer through MicorCell technology.
- Superior protection against UV rays with heat reflection.
- Reduced interior temperature than the exterior side.
- Sufficient adhesion along with RP-CRP-Q application.
- At least two layers of coating to attain a thick film.
- The coating won’t hold long over aluminum roofing.
8. Dicor RPFRC1 Fiberglass RV Roof Coating
Apart from the previous two from Dicor, it comes with a unique formulation to protect your RV roofing. You will have a liquid with sufficient flexibility specially designed to suit the rubberized top surface of your house.
Being formulated with fiberglass reins of 100% acrylic quality, it introduces a flexible layer of roof protection. The layer easily expands and contracts without any sort of cracking with the roof movement due to rapid change of temperature.
Having a brighter white appearance, this best roof coating for asphalt shingles allows reduced heat transfer to the interior side. Therefore, the interior always remains cooler than the exterior portion.
The fully cured film has a superior formulation to prevent mildew and algae growth that may degrade the coating quality. Easy application makes this a reliable choice for those who want to coat the top saving their time and money.
- Fiberglass resin with 100% acrylic polymer formulation.
- Superior flexibility to expand and contract with ease.
- Bright white exterior induces less heat flux transfer.
- Mildew and algae resistant for the fully cured coating.
- Easy application with simple cleaning using soapy water.
- Thin films are highly prone to quick crazing.
- Not suitable for EPDM and TPO type roofing.
9. GacoRoof GR1600-1 White Silicone Roof Coating
Using this coating will induce a protective layer to seal off the roof leaks reducing the action of the weather. In fact, GacoRoof provides the only coating that withstands permanent ponding water without any peeling, bubbling and even breaking down.
Unlike the aforementioned ones, it is formulated with 100% silicone which is suitable for almost all types of roof materials. Not to mention, silicone comes with better durability than acrylic or urethane under harsh weather.
When the coating is fully cured, you will find the coating flexible for a satisfactory temperature range. It is able to maintain its adhesion even after years of service along with its 85% solar reflectivity.
Though this one is easy to put, you need mineral spirit to wash and clean the coating. You can impart a new appearance using this GacoRoof coating to deliver a seamless membrane over your rooftop for sure.
- Completely waterproof with the superior formulation.
- 100% silicone maintains adhesion and flexibility.
- Ideal application for almost all types of roof materials.
- Greater temperature insulation through 85% reflectivity.
- No bubbling, breaking or peeling for ponding water.
- Higher amount of coating is required for the roof.
- Maintenance cost for the coating is quite high.
10. Gaco Gr1600 5g Gacoroof Silicone Roof Coating
When your roof faces difficulty to stand against the elements, you can definitely rely on this coating. In fact, Gaco Western comes with another silicone formulated coating which will deliver superior longevity for any types of roof.
Being formulated with silicone, it also delivers greater flexibility and adhesion during its service. For harsh weathers, acrylic or urethane formulated coatings fade away which can be overcome using silicone one over the exterior.
Offering a smooth surface, it prevents possible mold, mildew, staining growth which will require no recoating in years. In fact, this best silicone roof coating serves as a new coating for about 3 to 5 years which is quite higher than other coatings.
Like the previous one, it withstands permanent ponding water without the slightest peeling, bubbling or breaking. All you need is to put two consecutive layers of coat and you will get the protection for your roof.
- Silicone formulation induces better serviceability.
- Higher adhesion maintains flexibility for years.
- Resistant to mildew, mold and staining growth.
- Easy to apply without requiring any heavy tool.
- Smooth surface coating suits all roof materials.
- The coat may not hold good for sealing leaks.
- Costly and careful maintenance is required.
The market is full of cheap and poor quality coatings and if you want to get a good one, you must get rid of them in the first place. But choosing the best roof coating can be tricky as many others are available with superior quality. Therefore, you need to understand several factors that control the quality of a roof coating.
- Formulation: The formulation can be acrylic, urethane and even silicone. Acrylic or urethane provides better service but less durability. Meanwhile, silicone induces good serviceability along with greater durability for the roof.
- Reflectivity Index: The reflectivity index should be as high as possible. In general, good quality coatings offer a reflectivity of 80% to 95%. Better reflectivity delivers less heat transfer and keeps the interior cooler than the exterior temperature.
- Flexibility: Change of temperature with the weather influences the coating life. This is why you need to choose a well flexible coating. The flexible coating allows expansion and contraction along with the roof movement ensuring better service.
- Resistance: Mold, mildew, and staining reduce the lifespan of the coat and you need to ensure this doesn’t happen. Almost all good quality coatings come with an effective formulation to resist their growth over less maintenance.
- Suitability: The material type of the roof is also important to ensure a durable adhesion for the coating. EPDM and TPO roofs require special attention in this issue. On the other hand, silicone and acrylic ones hold pretty well for almost all common roof materials.
Advantages of Roof Coating
Some of the major advantages of using roof coating are mentioned below.
- Roof coatings provide a monolithic membrane that seals off the voids and pores to make the substrate impermeable. There remains no seam or patch which makes the roof waterproof.
- Direct application of coatings reduces the installation time cost, offering a labor-friendly task to do.
- Coatings are renewable and you can apply re-coating over long timespan to increase the roof life.
- Renewal of existing roof along with reuse of current material decreases landfill wastes to improve the environmental condition.
- Higher reflectivity induces better resistance against UV rays and also less heat transfer from exterior to interior side.
- Sufficient heat insulation offers cooler interior and again, cuts the air conditioning bill to some extent.
How to Apply a Roof Coating
Here is a simple, short but effective guideline to understand the application of roof coating.
- Cleaning: You need to prepare the roof surface by removing debris as much as possible. Fill all the leaks over the exterior surface using plaster or sealants.
- Applying: Apply the coat over the dried surface with set sealants. Use a suitable roller or brush (if necessary) to apply the coat and attain the thick film. For multiple coating, let the first layer dry, then add the second layer.
- Curing: When the roof is covered with a coating, let it dry to cure. The drying time varies according to the formulation and you need to ensure a full curing without disturbance.
From barns to RVs of commercial and residential houses, almost any structure can be significantly benefited from a quality coating. And we got 10 choices for you to make sure of that. Our aforementioned ones offer quality and performance in their respective field.
Though each of our best roof coatings has certain limitations, those are quite minor regarding their serviceability. Therefore, you can have a money-saving roofing system that lasts for long which helps to restore the former glory of the roof.